Margaret A. O'Hara PhD, Psychotherapist
Telehealth provided for clients in New York and California.
Are you stressed due to work or other life stress and find it difficult to cope? Do you find yourself using alcohol, other substances, food, exercise, sex, work, spending, gambling, or screens excessively? Do you think “I got this” after planning a strict regimen for change only to break it soon after? Do failed attempts cause you to feel down? Do you long for past times when you enjoyed life? Do you suspect there may be core issues that drive you but fear slowing down to explore them? Is there a personal or family history of trauma or emotional issues that causes anxiety? Do you feel exhausted and yearn to wake up refreshed?
Are you isolating to avoid people who are concerned?
There is hope and help. Change is possible. There are strategies to support mental health, defined by the World Health Organization as “not merely the absence of mental disorders or symptoms but also a resource supporting overall well-being and productivity.”
Let me help you go from surviving to thriving.
As a strengths-based therapist rooted in positive psychology and wellness, I use Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) to integrate techniques from narrative and mindfulness-based approaches. What this means is that we will use your strengths to expand what is right with you and to tackle your challenges in a caring, thoughtful way. Together we will apply strategies to reach the mental health, wellness, relationship, education, or career goals you set.
Sometimes people are uncertain about what therapy will be like or have concerns that are holding them back. If you are hesitant, give me a call and we can talk about where we would begin.
As a Board Certified Telemental Health Provider, I am available for
online therapy/video-conference counseling.
I am licensed to work with individuals and couples in California and New York.
With over thirty years in the counseling profession, I have seen countless people from all walks of life overcome obstacles and gain the strength necessary to move forward in growth and healing.
I consider it a privilege to use my counseling skills to benefit each individual who seeks my services.
- Doctor of Philosophy Degree in Counseling (PhD)
- Master of Science Degree in Counseling (MS)
- National Certified Counselor (NCC)
- California Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor (LPCC)
- BBS: Subject Matter Expert for CA LPCC examinations
- NYS Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC)
- Certified Experiential Therapist II (CET II)
- Board Certified Telemental Health Provider (BC-TMH)
- NYS Credentialed Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counselor (CASAC) - Master Counselor
- Internationally Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor (ICADC)
- Experienced School Counselor Certified in New York and California (PPS)
- Counselor Educator teaching university graduate students
- College Adjunct Instructor teaching Psychology & Freshman Seminar
- Clinical Director at Extended Care Substance Abuse Treatment Center
- Evening Clinical Supervisor at Inpatient Substance Abuse Treatment Center
- NYS OASAS-Approved DWI Screening and Assessment Provider
- Experienced Inpatient Counselor on an Eating Disorder Unit
- Hospice and Bereavement Training/Volunteer
- Parent Educator - S.T.E.P. and P.E.S.A. programs
Alcohol and Substance Use Disorders
Behavioral Addictions (e.g., gambling, gaming etc.)
Eating Issues & Disorders
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender
CALIFORNIA ASSOCIATION OF LICENSED PROFESSIONAL CLINICAL COUNSELORS
2014-2016 Board Director & Ethics Committee Chair
2014-2016 San Diego Region Networking Group Chair
2017/2018 Immediate Past-President
2018/2019 Ethics Committee
2019/2020 Ethics Committee
2020/2021 Ethics Committee
2021/2022 Ethics Committee
EAST END COUNSELORS' ASSOCIATION
2006 Counselor of the Year
NEW YORK COUNSELORS' ASSOCIATION
1995/96 Division President: Association of Specialists in Group Work
HOPE ~ WELL BEING ~ PEACE of MIND ~ HEALTH ~ BALANCE